Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28

DeAnza students revel in a rare snowfall.
It doesn't snow very often here in the San Francisco Bay area. When it does, of course, the most likely places to get a bit of accumulation are the high points of the ridges around the bay -- including the Saratoga Gap along California Highway 9 between Silicon Valley (where I work at DeAnza College) and Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz mountains (where I live.) On January 28th, 2002, we had a pretty good snowfall, and I encountered this group of students from my school having a blast at a vista point along my commute.

Date: January 28, 2002
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California
By: SH

8 comments:

Adam said...

You call that snow flatlander? A light dusteen at best..... ayuh.

Sherwood Harrington said...

"Dusteen," eh, pilgrim? You from Smyrna, mebbe, or Pharsalia?

[Translation for non-Chenangoans: Adam is channeling the local dialect of Chenango County in Upstate New York, where his mom and dad (hey! that's me!) were born. The easiest quirk to identify in that accent is "-een" for "-ing".]

Mike said...

Reminds me of college, when, at the first three flakes of snow, the freshmen from California and Florida would break out their entire winter regalia. By about this time of year, the smiles had faded and they'd learned to hunch their shoulders, tuck their heads down and just get to class while waiting for March or possibly April.

Dann said...

Dang

[pouts....kicks can]

Adam beat me to it.

[pouts some more]

I've got a couple truckloads of the stuff if they really want to have an experience.

Adam said...

Mike... if you ever find yourself living in the Adirondack Park as I did some time ago (for reasons that escape me now), you would have to change "March or possibly April" to "April but more likely May" hunch, hunch... grumble, grumble.

Sherwood Harrington said...

I think Mike -- or at least Mike's mom -- actually did live there once upon a time, Adam.

Mike said...

I lived there from '56 to '67, when I left for college. Mom hung in until '06 for an even half century. My brother and I each got married in 1971. I was married in Denver in March and the pictures show bare ground and crocuses. He got married in May back home in the Adirondacks and the pictures show six foot snowbanks.

Adam said...

The summers ALMOST made up for the 6 ft May snowbanks though. The winters were almost unbearable for a soft California boy. But July on Caroga Lake..... there's nothing here quite like it.