Friday, June 20, 2008

June 20

Me 'n' the Beav

My 13th birthday was a Monday, after school had let out for the summer. For the occasion, five of my buddies and I rode our bicycles the four miles from Norwich town out to the Harrington house in Kings Settlement, where Mom and Dad cooked up a feast of hot dogs and the necessary accompaniments after they returned home from work. This shot shows me with one of my best childhood friends, David Gordon Putnam. Instead of "Sherwood" and "David," though, everyone knew us by the nicknames we had since infancy: Woody and Beaver.

That's right. Woody and Beaver. Let that roll around in your head for a while.

Imagine how those names would go over with kids today.

Date: June 20, 1960
Location: Kings Settlement, New York
By: LH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 61st dad! We love you VERY much!

Adam, Lynda, Andrew-

Adam said...

Andrew attends Will C. Wood middle school. Their mascot, wait for it.......The Beaver's. True story. Someday I'll explain to him why that's so funny.

Adam-

Adam said...

Hey!, I'm not "anonymous" any longer.

Adam-